Bigger eyes, brighter eyes, wider eyes: We are constantly looking for ways in which we can enhance our peepers. And since we've already mastered the art of faking big eyes as well as using concealer to brighten them, there is only one thing left to do: learn how to make eyes look farther apart. Therefore we reached out to makeup artist Afton Williams for some widening eye makeup tricks.
Makeup can transform your look in so many different ways. If you’ve ever contoured your cheekbones, you know what I’m talking about. Similarly, makeup can be used to create the illusion of wide-set eyes, and in the latest installment of our video series, Williams shows us how to do just that. For step-by-step instructions on creating eyes that look farther apart, watch the video below.
1. Arch and extend brows: Using Kevyn Aucoin Precision Brow Pencil ($26), fill in your brows and extend them outward.
3. Draw on eyeliner: In order to widen the eye, Williams says to draw attention outward by using eyeliner to create "the shape of an arrow (connecting the outward corners into somewhat of a triangle)" with MAC's Smolder Eye Kohl ($17).
4. Smudge: To create a more lived-in look, smudge your eyeliner with Sigma's E21 Smudge Brush ($15).
5. Highlight inner corners: Williams says she prefers to use her pinky finger or a small blending brush when applying highlighter to the inner corners of the eyes. She recommends using a highlight like Becca Shimmering Skin Perfector in Moonstone ($38) as it is not too "sparkly or flashy."
6. Apply mascara: To draw attention outward, focus on applying L'Oréal Voluminous Carbon Black Mascara ($8) to both the top and bottom outer lashes only.
Director: Clarence Fuller
Producer: Adam Hammer
Videography: Eric Foster
Editor: Kathria Tizon
Makeup: Afton Williams
Hair: Justine Marjan
Styling: Morgan Bogle
Nails: Destinee Handly