Get off to the best start each morning with a good moisturizer. It will seal in the moisture from your shower, give your skin the nutrition it needs and almost always protect your skin from the sun. But sometimes it's hard to pick the right one. Do you need one for anti-aging? But what about the few breakouts you get each month? Do you need one for oily skin then? And do you really need to switch moisturizers when the seasons change?
How to Tell What Skin Type You Have
Look at your skin first thing in the morning. Is it an oil slick? Is it dry and tight and flaky? Or does it feel pretty much normal? The morning is a great time to get a gauge on your skin type, as is after the day is through. Take a good look for noticeable shine or dry skin. It is a good indicator of where your skin falls per skincare regimens.
Do Skin Types Really Change With the Seasons?
There is no hard, fast rule that skin types change with the seasons but there are some elements of the season that might affect your skin. For example, if you live in a cold, windy, snowy area, your otherwise normal skin might become dry and parched by the weather and a moisturizer for dry skin might be in order, even if the same moisturizer would cause you to break out in the summer. And for some, their skin is the most normal in the dryer, colder months and turns oily with the humidity of the summer months.
What about your skin? Do you notice any changes with the weather? Some people do have to switch out their regimens, specifically their moisturizers in certain seasons, but definitely not everyone.
Do I Really Need SPF Every Morning?
Absolutely yes. Every day. Without fail. But so many people do not listen to this advice from dermatologists everywhere. Sun damages skin. Sun is the #1 ager of skin and the sun causes skin cancer. But some moisturizers don't have SPF in them due to perhaps an active ingredient being affected by the addition. In cases where your moisturizer doesn't contain SPF, it is vital to use a daily facial sunscreen.
3 Picks for Oily/Combo Skin
- Kimberly Sayer Ultra Light Moisturizer SPF 30: This is one of our all-time favorite moisturizers. It's a great amount for the price, it hydrates beautifully and the SPF level is awesome. Its lemony smell is the perfect way to start the day.
- Boots Botanics Complexion Refining Day Moisturizer SPF 12: This moisturizer gets top reviews from users who love its lightweight texture and ability to fight acne. It also has mattifying properties, so if you deal with unwanted shine, this might help.
- Origins Zero Oil Oil-Free Moisturizer: This moisturizer by Origins reduces pore size and mattifies your skin for an oil-free look all day. No SPF in this one, so make sure you use your own.
3 Top Picks for Normal/Combo Skin
Wait, Combo again? Combination skin is a tough category to fall in. Sometimes products for oily skin are perfect and sometimes you need to mix and match cleansers and moisturizers to get a good balance of oil/acne-fighting products with products that won't dry out your skin.
- CeraVe Moisturizing Cream: You can't go wrong with CeraVe's moisturizers. Recommended by dermatologists time and time again because of the products' ability to properly hydrate the skin with ingredients that work. Especially beneficial for those with sensitive skin. No SPF - Use your own!
- Josie Maran Argan Oil Daily Moisturizer SPF 40: Give us 5 minutes and we'll tell you why argan oil is amazing for your skin. Go straight for the oil itself or try Josie Maran's moisturizer with argan oil. We love that this contains the SPF you need along with the skin changing benefits of argan oil.
- L'Oreal Active Daily Moisturizer SPF 15: For a quick easy grab at the drugstore, try this one from L'Oreal. It is really made for all skin types and has been around for quite some time. Reviewers with sensitive skin note great results with Active.
Top 3 Pics for Dry Skin
- Skin Authority Ultra-Rich Moisturizer: This moisturizer from Skin Authority left our skin feeling pampered and hydrated. Skin Authority is known for its anti-aging products and this one is no different. No SPF again, so take note.
- Revalskin Coffeeberry Day Cream SPF 15: Coffeeberry is a known anti-aging ingredient in skincare and Revaleskin utilizes this ingredient in their line. It's definitely a splurge product coming in over $100, but is sold in dermatology clinics and is known for the great anti-aging results it gives.
- L'Oreal Youth Code: Daily Moisturizing Lotion SPF 30: We love the Youth Code line by L'Oreal and we're not alone. Reviews are almost all positive with just about any product in the line. (Note: If you're sensitive to fragrance, ask for a sample first.) The daily moisturizing lotion has great SPF protection and great anti-aging properties. Although it's been discontinued by the manufacturer, you can still grab it on Amazon.