The deep side part with mega volume at the roots is the cool-girl hairstyle loved by models, actresses, It girls, and anyone who’s taken a scroll through Instagram lately. The problem is getting it to stay in place long enough to take your #hairgoals selfie. We feel your pain. So, we consulted the experts behind celeb hairstylist Jen Atkin’s website Mane Addicts to learn how to execute the coveted side-flip hairstyle so it lasts all day (and all night) long.
Check out the instructions below and watch the video above to see how it’s done.
1. Saturate your roots with salt spray, using a brush to comb the product through hair.
2. Blow-dry your hair, focusing the heat on your roots. Use a brush to lift each section as you go.
3. Back-comb the hair at your roots in one-inch sections from one side of your head to the other. Hold each section straight up when you back-comb it, and spray it with dry shampoo or finishing spray once you’re done.
4. When you’ve gone all the way across, flip your hair over to the side you started on.
5. Without undoing any of your back-combing, lightly smooth out the top (feel free to skip this step if you like your hair a little more textured).
6. Spray hair spray or finishing spray all over, and muss up the length as you please.
You know what looks amazing with a deep side part like this? Bended waves. Check out our tutorial on how to wave your hair with a flatiron.
Credits: Hair: Sascha Breuer; Makeup: Jeffrey Baum; Nails: Barbara Warner; Videographer: Dave Lang; Model: Bryden; Producer: Clique Studio with Mane Addicts