There has been a lot of skincare-related education happening on a mainstream level. Just a few years ago, it was a battle getting most women to name a single active ingredient in their products. Unless it was obviously stated in the name, consumers balked. Today, many skincare products are made with some of the most potent and powerful ingredients for tackling acne, aging concerns, crow’s feet, wrinkles, and more. And consumers are taking notice.
>However, more often than not, these powerful ingredients come at a cost. We all know the feeling of saving up to try a new product or trend only to find out it doesn’t work for us. While many feel compelled to shell out a ton of money, many of these ingredients can be found right in your own home. Yes, many of the potent ingredients in modern skincare (and their unparalleled benefits) can be discovered in one of the least obvious places: your pantry. Additionally, you can use the supplements you’re used to taking orally as part of your new DIY skincare regimen. Keep reading for easy-to-follow recipes that work.
THE DETOX PROBIOTIC MASK
Probiotics are amazing to take internally, but they also work wonders when applied directly to your skin. They can help you tackle acne, inflammation, radiation, sun exposure, hard water, smoke, and pollution. Combined with powerful anti-inflammatories like cacao and cinnamon, this mask addresses just about every skin concern you may have. French green clay draws out bacteria from the pores (which can clear blackheads), help clear breakouts, and smooth your skin. Additionally, adding kombucha offers an additional boost of probiotics.
>What you need:
- French green clay
- Probiotic capsules
- Kombucha or water to mix
- Add 2 tablespoons of French green clay to a bowl.
- Add a pinch of cinnamon and cacao.
- Open 3 probiotic capsules and add the contents.
- Mix with water or kombucha (for added probiotics).
- Apply the mixture to your face and allow it to dry for 15 minutes.
- Rinse and finish with your favorite moisturizer.
THE COLLAGEN BATH
Collagen is a main structural protein in our joints, tendons, and ligaments. It’s what keeps our skin looking bouncy and youthful. But as we age, the production slows down, and wrinkles and sagging begin to form. Taking collagen internally may help reduce wrinkles (though there isn’t a ton of conclusive research); however, as a warm bath soak, it can penetrate our delicate skin cells to both support and detoxify the body.
What you need:
- 1 full bathtub
- 1 tbsp. collagen powder or 6 capsules marine collagen
- Fill your bath with warm water.
- Add a scoop or 6 capsules of collagen to the bath water.
- Let it cool a bit before you get in, and soak for 20 minutes.
THE VITAMIN TONER
>Use vitamin A in your toner to encourage healthy skin cell production. It’s an organic compound that contains retinol, retinal, and retinoic acid, which are actives helpful in lightening discoloration and smoothing fine lines and wrinkles. Applying vitamins topically can deliver incredible anti-aging benefits that are visible overnight.
>What you need:
- Apple cider vinegar or your favorite toner
- Vitamin A drops
- Add your toner or apple cider vinegar to a cotton pad.
- Apply 3 to 4 drops of vitamin A.
- Swipe the cotton pad across your skin, concentrating on problem areas, wrinkles, and blackheads.
THE SKIN SAVIOR EXFOLIATOR
Calcium carbonate is a natural salt. Among its health benefits, it can be used for buffing away dead skin cells—a ritual we should all be doing once or twice a week (depending on your skin type). It helps the body to produce the new cells that replace old, damaged cells, which keeps your skin from looking dull and sallow. Moreover, several studies show zinc may reduce acne. It’s essential for the proper function of the body’s cells. It’s a powerful antioxidant that helps to rejuvenate skin.
>What you need:
- 1 tbsp. calcium carbonate
- 1 capsule of zinc
- 1 exfoliating sponge
- Mix together 1 tbsp. calcium carbonate and 1 capsule of zinc.
- Apply the mixture to your sponge.
- Gently exfoliate your face, staying mindful of any sensitive skin or rough patches.
- Rinse and apply your favorite moisturizer.