It’s here: 31 days. 31 cities. 31 perspectives. Each day in the month of March, we’re profiling an inspiring woman from across the world and asking her to share her beauty routine, products, and wellness secrets. Consider this your firsthand look into the beauty traditions and cultures of your beauty-obsessed counterparts from Thailand, Nigeria, and more (and don’t forget to check our Instagram for a beauty-themed global takeover each day). Now, we have Cape Town-based Lisa Brown, a stunning self-employed hair and makeup artist and owner of an international makeup and hair academy who's sharing how she stays centered when she's on her feet all day long. Plus, find out which store she gets most all her products from (there's no Sephora in South Africa!).
Name: Lisa Brown
City, country of residence and how long you've lived there: Cape Town, South Africa since I was born.
Your beauty icons: Camila Coelho, Micah Gianneli, Desi Perkins ,and Kim Kardashian.
The 5 skincare products you can't live without:
1. Nourish Cleanser ($9) — a pH balanced cleanser that soothes my skin due to having eczema—I don't want anything too harsh or abrasive on my skin.
2. Lamelle Helase SPF 50 (only available in South Africa) — Being outdoors, I need good anti-oxidants.
3. Retin-A (by prescription only), just love to use this once a week to exfoliate my skin and for age prevention for me.
The 5 hair products you can't live without:
1. Kevin Murphy Shimmer Shine ($36)
2. REF Spray wax
3. Ghd smooth and finish serum
4. Kevin Murphy Blond Angel Color-Enhancing Shampoo ($40)
5. Ref Extreme Hold Spray ($17)
The 5 makeup products you can't live without:
1. Dior Airflash Spray Foundation ($62). I make use of it as a bronzer.
2. Nars Radiant Creamy Concealer ($30)
3. Essence Prismatic Hololighter Stick ($6)
4. Nyx Liquid Illuminator ($8)
5. Tatcha Luminous Dewy Skin Mist ($48)
6. Becca First Light Priming Filter ($38)
What countries and cultures do you find most inspirational when it comes to beauty and why?
I've been in this industry for longer then 10 years, and I have found the Chinese culture the most fascinating when it comes to beauty. They are always a step ahead, very precise and on-trend when it comes to makeup. They have the most healthy, glowing hair always.
The most popular beauty product(s) and brand(s) in your country right now:
1. Estee Lauder Advanced Night Repair ($98)
2. Elizabeth Arden Eight Hour Cream All Over Miracle Oil ($28)
3. Skoon Essential Oil (available in South Africa)
The most popular beauty trends in your country right now:
Due to our harsh sun, the bronzer look with highlight cheeks will always be on-trend. With the water crisis that is currently happing in Western Cape, Cape Town, we have to help and save water, so to help with that we make more use of dry shampoo from REF.
Favorite traditional beauty secret from your country:
Where we buy our beauty products. We don't have a Sephora in South Africa, and buying overseas products can sometimes be a problem. I make use of Muse Makeup Boutique—they are found on Instagram and they courier the makeup to your door.
Next up, take a look at the products a Norweigen beauty blogger can't stop using.