No, You’re Not Crazy—You Do Lose More Hair in the Fall

Updated 09/23/16

As the season begins to change, the temperatures slowly drop, the days grow shorter, the leaves start to change colors, and women begin to lose their hair. Wait, what? In a recent six-year study conducted by Swedish scientists, it was discovered that healthy women are more prone to losing their hair in the fall than in any other season. Feeling confused or glad to know you’re not alone?

Why this time of year, as opposed to another? Keep reading to find out!

ImaxTree

The Life Cycle of Human Hair

The study explained that the life cycle of human hair is between two and six years. During this time, 90% of our hair is in the growth stage while the remaining 10% is in a resting stage—before it falls out.

FashionGone Rouge

The Resting State

The resting stage for human hair can last anywhere from two to six months. During this time, you hair does not fall out as much. The Swiss study found that women had the most “resting” hair during the month of July. This may be attributed to the body holding onto hair during the summer as a form of protection from the heat and sun.

ImaxTree

100 Days Later

With a resting cycle lasting about three months, or roughly 100 days, that brings us to three months later, give or take. This means that if your resting cycle begins in July, by October, your hair is ready to start falling out. 

Knowledge Is Power

Now that we are armed with this knowledge, we not only understand what is happening but also know how and when to combat it. Start early by using Bumble and Bumble’s new Full Potential Hair Preserving Shampoo ($31) and Conditioner ($34), designed to create the optimal scalp environment and reduce hair loss. 

Seeing Signs?

Already noticing thinning or signs of hair loss? Try Alterna’s Caviar Clinical Daily Root & Scalp Stimulator ($36), an at-home leave-in treatment designed to help stimulate the scalp, allowing healthier, thicker-looking hair to surface.

Detangle Damage

Using a brush with rough, wiry bristles can cause breakage and irritate the scalp. When you want to preserve your locks, it’s best to blow out your hair with a detangling paddle brush like EcoTools' Smoothing Detangler Paddle Brush ($11). With its gentle bristles and your soft touch, your scalp and hair will thank you!

Related Stories