In This Article
While many of us consider coconut oil to be the queen of all-natural oils, there may be another contender vying for the throne. If you're unfamiliar with rosehip oil (and its many under-the-radar benefits for your skin), let me assure you that it is, in fact, as pleasant as it sounds.
For starters, this natural oil is beloved by an actual duchess. That's right—it's confirmed that Kate Middleton and her mother, Carole Middleton, use it as a part of their daily skincare routines. Kate's go-to is Trilogy's Rosehip Oil ($20). Gwyneth Paltrow and Miranda Kerr have also openly confessed their love for it, and they have glowing skin. Now that we've addressed the fact that rosehip oil is loved by royalty and A-listers alike, it's time to figure out why. To do so, we enlisted the help of Kat Burki and Jeannel Astarita.
Meet the Expert
- Kat Burki is the founder of her eponymous skincare line. She has a degree in nutrition and a background in healthcare.
- Jeannel Astarita is a renowned body contouring expert and the founder and CEO of Just Ageless Beauty + Body Lab. She is an active member of the Society of Plastic Surgery Skincare Specialists, the American Society of Laser Medicine and Surgery, and the Associated Skin Care Professionals.
Read on for all the incredible benefits of rose-hip oil for skin.
- Type of ingredient: Oil
- Main benefits: Brightens and evens out the skin, regenerates and heals, helps with anti-aging, elasticity, and collagen production.
- Who should use it: In general, rosehip oil is beneficial for all skin types.
- How often can you use it?: It's safe to use twice a day, morning and night.
- Works well with: In general, rosehip oil can be used with most products and ingredients.
- Don't use with: Rosehip oil is high in vitamin A, so be mindful when using products with retinoids.
What Is Rose-Hip Oil?
Rosehip oil—also known as rosehip seed oil—is a pressed seed oil that has been valued since ancient times for its many healing properties. "Rosehip oil is the fruit of a rose from a rose plant that is extracted and processed to form an oil," Burki says. "It's derived from the leftover seed pods after the petals of the rose have fallen off." Originating in Chile, rosehip oil is chock-full of antioxidants and essential fatty acids, as well as antimicrobial, antiviral, and antifungal properties. "It's composed of nearly 89% essential fatty acids, including omega-3, omega-6, and omega-9. These essential fatty acids power the rosehip oil to activate cells and encourage the regeneration and new production of collagen and elastin.", mentions Burki. Rosehip oil can be applied straight onto the skin or can also be used as a carrier oil for other, more potent facial oils. Although it's formulated into many skincare products, rosehip oil can most often be found in its pure form to be applied directly onto the skin. This oil should be packaged in a dark, amber-colored bottle to protect it from UV rays, which can diminish the potency of the product if exposed.
Benefits of Rosehip Oil for Skin
Rosehip oil is a superhero product, offering myriad benefits for all skin types. From brightening the skin to improving moisture levels and elasticity, let's break down all of the benefits this powerful oil possesses.
- Regenerates and heals the skin: "Rosehip oil has high concentrations of vitamin A, B1, B2, B3, and K. It's known for its exceptional regenerative and healing properties," Burki explains.
- Increases collagen production and skin elasticity: Research shows that after eight weeks, rosehip oil will show a significant improvement in crow's-feet wrinkles, the moisture level, and elasticity. "Vitamin A in rosehip oil reduces the activity of skin damage by slowing the process of collagen and elastin breakdown," explains Burki.
- Assists in brightening and evening out the skin: "Rosehip oil is rich in vitamin C and helps brighten the skin. It also helps [to] decrease the appearance of hyperpigmentation and inhibits free radical damage with powerful antioxidants," explains Burki.
- Has dramatic skin restorative powers: A study proved that the use of rosehip oil on patients post-surgery improved the overall look of their scars. "Rosehip oil is often used in burn units and on those with surgical scars, as it dramatically helps restore lost skin and tone," Burki tells us.
- Rosehip oil can be used every day, on all skin types: "Twice a day is recommended," says Burki. "Many rosehip oil products can be applied directly to the skin."
- Intensely hydrates and moisturizes the skin: Including linoleic acid, as well as various other essential fatty acids, rosehip oil is the go-to for acute hydration. It also locks in moisture and is easily absorbed by the skin.
- Calms inflammation: Rich in vitamin E and anthocyanin—two ingredients that can calm and soothe irritation—rosehip oil can be hugely beneficial for those dealing with rosacea, eczema, and other inflammatory skin issues.
Side Effects of Rosehip Oil
Rosehip oil has no known side effects and is generally safe for all skin types. However, a patch test should always be performed before adding any new product to your daily routine. As we mentioned earlier, Jeannel warns to use rosehip oil and retinoids together with caution.
How to Use Rosehip Oil
Rosehip oil can be used up to twice a day, morning and evening. The most popular way to use this oil by applying it directly to the skin or adding it to your favorite moisturizer. However, you can also use rosehip as a carrier when using another potent oil of choice. Make sure to store it in a cool, dark place to ensure that it doesn't go rancid.
The Best Products With Rosehip Oil
"Kat Burki Rose Hip Revitalizing Face Serum and Rose Hip Intense Recovery Eye Serum are our most highly concentrated rosehip oil products," says Burki.
"We recommend them due to their powerful ability to reduce the appearance of skin damage and encourage the regeneration of collagen and elastin," Burki explains.
This potent serum comes highly recommended by Jeannel. Infused with 22 powerful botanicals, this product will fight free-radicals, heals, renews, repairs, and tones the skin. Rosehip is one of the main components, and paired with the remaining ingredients, we can definitely see why this serum is as impressive as it is.
This well-known oil from Pai is rich in omegas, formulated with rosehip, and is highly beneficial for the skin. Perfect for all skin types, the Bioregenerate Oil utilizes rosehip to heal, regenerates, and assists with blemishes and dullness. We've heard many raving reviews about this product, but Jeannel, in particular, adores this item.