It was a big year for the no-makeup-makeup trend, with celebs posting beautiful barefaced selfies on Instagram and Beyonce popularizing the notion in her "I Woke Up Like This" hit song. Since Christmas is all about relaxing and chilling out with loved ones, and since New Year's Eve is all about doing it up full glam style, Christmas morning is the perfect opportunity to put your best and last I-woke-up-like-this face forward in 2014. In the spirit of the low-maintenance look, we rounded up our very best overnight and morning-of skincare and makeup tips from the whole year. Read on for how to fake a #flawless face come Christmas morning!
- Take a chamomile bath the night before Christmas, to soothe dry winter skin, per our story on natural tricks to get and keep skin glowing in cold weather, here.
- Bust out the humidifier hiding in your parent's closet after the bath: Some moisture in the air while you sleep does winter skin good.
- Splash your skin with ice cold water when you wake up. Though it will be momentarily freezing, it will be worth the immediate benefits in the appearance of your skin. The cold water with depuff and energize tired skin and is a trick used by Candace Swanepoel and Kate Moss, per our story on the 12 habits of the most beautiful women, here.
- Cleanse with manouka honey when you wake up (after the aforementioned cool water splashing). It's a trick supermodel Petra Nemcova, known for her glowing, radiant skin, told us she uses in the mornings to provide a plumping effect.
- Use an overnight repair cream before you go to bed, like Estee Lauder's Advanced Night Repair, then use a rosy blush, natural lip tint, and brown eyeliner Christmas morning for a fresh-faced, glowing look, per our exclusive interview with Chriselle Lim here. A soft brown eyeliner will provide definition and open eyes while still seeming natural, unlike harsher black eyeliner. Rosy blush and natural lip tint give a pretty pink flush like you just stepped in from the cold.
- Use one of the lengthening mascaras in our best-of story, here. A lengthening formula and brush makes lashes look like a prettier natural version of your own lashes, versus thickening formulas that make it look like you're wearing makeup.
- For dull, sallow skin, use a gentle peel with lactic acid to brighten skin on the spot
- Apply an egg white mask for an instant tightening effect for droopy skin - it's a classic cult trick in the natural beauty world and an old wive's tale that really works, mentioned in our story on treating crow's feet, here.
What are your favorite ways to embrace no-makeup makeup? Let us know below!