Facials not only pamper your skin, they completely relax your mind and body as well. But how many of us can afford to go to the spa on a regular basis? The good news is that you don't need to! You can get a lot of the benefits of a spa facial right at home with an at-home facial. Just follow the instructions below.
30 minutes or less if you are in a real hurry. You can take longer if you want.
What You Need:
- Cucumber slices or steeped and cooled tea bags for your eyes
- Towels and washcloths
- Facial cleanser
- Facial exfoliator
- Facial mask
- Facial moisturizer
- A relaxing place to lie down
- Aromatherapy spray or essential oils (optional)
- Relaxing music (optional)
- Get prepared: Gather your supplies so you won't need to go looking for something you need later on which would completely ruin the mood. This includes: 2 slices of cucumber or freshly steeped and cooled tea bags, a facial cleanser, a facial exfoliator, and facial mask all listed above. Turn on relaxing music and clear a place to relax and lie down when your mask is working. If you have long hair, pull your hair completely back. Use a headband to hold stray hair and bangs out of your face.
- Cleanse: Clean your face using your basic facial cleanser and warm water. Use circular motions with your washcloth to get a nice gentle clean. If you have eye makeup on, gently remove it with eye makeup remover. Rinse your face clean. Cleanser to try: L'Oreal Paris Ideal Clean Foaming Gel Cleanser for all skin types.
- Open Pores: My favorite part of a facial is when they apply hot damp towels to my face, leaving only a small opening by my nose to breath. You can do this easily at home. Have your aromatherapy spritz handy, lie down and grab your damp hot towel. Put the middle of the towel on your chin and wrap the ends up and around your forehead, spreading out the sides to envelop the sides of your face. (Leave a small opening at your nose.) Spritz a couple sprays of aromatherapy spray in the air. You could also put a drop or two of essential oils on your towel for the same effect. Of course, make sure that your towel is not too hot. You do not want to accidentally burn yourself.
- Exfoliate: Exfoliation is the key to smooth healthy skin. Follow the instructions on the package of your favorite exfoliator. Just be careful not to get the exfoliator too close to your eyes. Don't forget to pay attention to your neck and chest, because these areas show skin blemishes and aging just as much as your face does. When you're finished exfoliating, rinse your face clean. Try an exfoliator like Simple Smoothing Facial Scrub or Philosophy Microdelivery Exfoliating Wash.
- Apply Mask: Using a mask best suited for your skin type, apply with your fingers, or if you'd like to mimic the spa, use a paintbrush. Make sure you apply a good amount of mask to all areas of your face, neck, and chest, but avoid the eyes.
- Most masks need to sit for a good 10 minutes. You can always leave the mask on for longer if you want. Try a mask like Eau Thermale Avène Soothing Moisture Mask if your skin is on the dry side or ORIGINS Clear Improvement Active Charcoal Mask if your skin is acne prone.
- Treat your eyes: While masking you can treat your eyes as well. Lie down in a comfortable spot and place your cucumber slices or tea bags on your eyes. This is a good time to relax to your music and enjoy the moment.
- Rinse Using a warm wet towel, wipe off your mask making sure you pay special attention to the areas around your nose and your hairline, which are easy targets for left-behind mask.
- Moisturize: The final step is to apply your moisturizer. Feel free to give yourself a slight massage while applying, concentrating on your temples.
- This is a perfect way to spend time with your mate. Take turns so that you can each fully pamper each other.
- Keep a bucket full of hot water filled with towels so you can always grab a clean steamy hot towel each time.
- If you don't have an aromatherapy spray, drop a few drops of essential oil into the bucket with water so that you can get the full spa experience.