When she’s not working with big names like Emily Blunt and Mandy Moore, celebrity makeup artist Jenn Streicher is part of the Laura Mercier Makeup Artist Collective, and she’s agreed to share her expertise with us via our new Ask an Artist series. Need help selecting the best foundation for your skin type? Want to master a three-minute eye makeup look? Come back every month for a unique beauty lesson from a pro.
It's rare that we find ourselves with ample time to get ready for a night out. Between juggling work and our social lives (plus a million different errands), we're moving fast and on the go. But, that doesn't stop us from wanting to try a killer makeup look when the sun sets. So, we reached out to celebrity makeup artist Jenn Streicher to share her pro tips for creating a three-minute smoky eye. Streicher's advice? Stick to portable products that come in stick form for easy application. (Her go-tos are the Laura Mercier Caviar Stick Eye Colours, $29.) "These dry fast, so work quickly and in small areas," she says. "And blend! Once they dry, they don't like to move."
We know what you’re thinking: Obviously a pro can do a lot in just three minutes, but what about everyone else? Streicher showed us the ropes, then let our model do her other eye to prove just how easy it is to master. Don’t believe us? Watch for yourself below.
Ready to try the look yourself? Get started.
- Start with the Caviar Stick Eye Colour in Fog ($29). Draw the soft gray color over your entire lid up into the crease and along your lower lash line.
- Next, add matte shade Cobblestone (a deep taupe) to your lid, focusing on the outer edge and blending with your index finger. Add a touch to your lower lash line, too.
- Then, rub a bit of the black Tuxedo shade onto the end of the Clay Smudge Brush ($30). Blend into your crease. Concentrate on the outer edge of the eye creating a V-shape, and blend with your finger as needed.
- To mimic the effect of liner, draw Tuxedo onto the Clay Smudge Brush ($30). Press the brush into your upper and lower lash lines. Then, use your finger to smudge and smoke it out.
- Finish with a dab of Rosegold on the inner corners of your eyes. Stop your clocks — your three minutes are up and it's time to go out.
Tell us: What other looks do you want to master in under three minutes?