A beautifully done tattoo can be ruined simply by not caring for it properly. Follow these guidelines, and you will have a work of art you can be proud of.
Time Required: 1-2 Weeks
- Listen to your artist's aftercare instructions. They know more about your specific needs.
- No matter how tempted you are to show off your new tattoo, leave the bandage on for at least 3 hours.
- Wash your tattoo with mild soap twice daily using only your hand.
- After washing your tattoo, pat it dry with an unused towel or paper towel.
- For the first 3 days, apply anti-bacterial ointment very lightly after washing.
- After the third day, you can start applying lotion to your tattoo after washing.
- If your tattoo itches, don't scratch it! Instead, slap it to make the itch go away.
- Your tattoo may start to peel. Don't pick at it! Let it peel by itself and apply lotion to keep it moist.
- Once it is healed, apply sunblock before spending an extended time outside.
- You may want to have it touched up every few years to keep it looking new and vibrant.
- Do not, at any time, scrub your tattoo before it is fully healed.
- Your tattoo's worst enemy is the sun. Protect it with sunblock to keep the color from fading.
- A tattoo is considered completely healed when it is about 3 months old.