Sure, Gisele Bündchen may emerge from the ocean with perfectly tousled locks, but for most of us, "effortless" beach waves require a texturizing spray, some sort of curling iron, and 30 minutes (or more) of styling—at the minimum. The good news is, that actually doesn't have to be the case. In the video above, celebrity hairstylist Ashley Streicher demonstrates how to get perfectly rumpled tresses sans heat. Sound too good to be true? Trust us: After experimenting with the tutorial firsthand, we can report that our hair fell into gorgeous, natural-looking waves.
Needless to say, we've found our go-to summer hairstyle. For Streicher's step-by-step instructions on how to get wavy hair without a curling iron, keep on reading.
1. Start with wet hair: Wash or wet your hair with hydrating or smoothing shampoo like Kevin Murphy's Hydrate Me Wash ($47).
2. Towel-dry your hair: To add texture, Streicher says to wrap it in a towel like Aquis Lisse Luxe Hair Turban ($30). After a few minutes, unwrap your hair and naturally find your part without touching your hair too much.
3. Brush your bangs: Brush your bangs forward with a Wet Brush Original Detangler ($9). Let the rest of your hair remain unbrushed, as this will add more volume and texture, says Streicher. However, if you have curlier locks, brush through your hair when very wet before letting it air-dry.
4. Place your hair: Without touching your hair too much, Streicher recommends placing it how you would like it to dry. She further adds that straight-haired ladies can add a few twists throughout their hair for even more texture.
5. Add a de-frizzer: Apply a lightweight de-frizzer like Reverie's Milk Anti-Frizz Leave-In Nourishing Treatment ($42) to just the ends. Instead of brushing it through your hair, Streicher says to squeeze it into your tresses so as not to disrupt your waves.
6. Wait patiently: Let your hair air-dry, making sure not to touch it, as Streicher says touching it will create frizz and weigh it down.
7. Apply more de-frizzer: If your hair is looking fluffy or frizzy, Streicher says to add more de-frizzer.
8. Separate your strands: To separate your waves a bit, apply a styling balm like Reverie's Rake Styling Balm ($36) to the ends of your hair.
9. Add volume: If more volume is what you're after, Streicher says to spray a bit of texturizing spray like Rene Furterer's Vegetal Texturizing Spray ($32) to your roots without disrupting your waves.