Equal parts sweet and edgy, the fishtail-braided bun is the beauty equivalent of throwing a leather motorcycle jacket over your dainty floral dress. In other words, it’s a do. While the style may look crazy-complicated, it’s actually rather beginner-friendly. If you have a fishtail braid in your repertoire, you can do this. (If not, watch this easy tutorial.) Rest assured we and the hair experts at Jen Atkin’s website Mane Addicts would not lead you astray.
Check out the instructions below and watch the video above to see how it’s done!
1. Start with your natural part, then make an L-shaped part on one side. Comb through the section you just separated, sweep it over to one side, and clip it back behind your ear.
2. Fishtail-braid the hair on the side that’s not clipped all the way to the ends, and tie off the braid.
3. Release the clip and lightly back-comb a two- to three-inch section at the top to give your roots some lift.
4. Sweep the non-braided hair back into a low ponytail. Twist the ponytail into a bun. Bobby-pin the bun in place.
5. Grab your braid, twist it around the base of the bun, and secure it with bobby pins.
6. Gently tousle the front and spritz a little finishing spray (we're using Wella's Stay Essential Finishing Spray, $17) to complete the look.
Not a big braider? Try this super-easy faux fishtail!
Credits: Hair: Sascha Breuer, Makeup: Jeffrey Baum, Nails: Barbara Warner, Videographer: Dave Lang, Model: Bryden, Producer: Clique Studio with Mane Addicts