Calming and color-correcting
Good for sensitive skin
Lightweight, sheer consistency
Not Byrdie Clean
Can get shiny after a few hours
Dr. Jart+ Cicapair Tiger Grass Camo Drops SPF 35
We put the Dr. Jart+ Cicapair Tiger Grass Camo Drops to the test after receiving a complimentary sample from the brand. Keep reading for our full product review.
I think the main reason we love Korean skincare is its ability to invariably outshine, eclipse, and completely outrun the best modern products with its characteristic blend of innovative technology and high-performance ingredients, all of which are years of ahead of the pack. Case in point: Dr. Jart+'s Cicapair Tiger Grass Camo Drops, a super serum that calms red, irritated skin while providing potent sun protection and evening out your complexion with a touch of color correction. In other words, it does just about everything.
This serum is part of Dr. Jart+'s Cicapair line of products, which are formulated to calm and heal redness associated with irritated and sensitive skin. The Camo Drops are the lighter version of the original Color Correcting Treatment, which I’ve always wanted to try but whose rich texture was kind of a put-off.
So did this cult all-in-one skin fixer live up to its lofty expectations, or did it join the graveyard of fallen expectations? Keep reading for my honest review.
Best For: Oily, combination skin that’s prone to sensitivity and redness.
Uses: Soothes irritated and sensitive skin, neutralizes redness, and provides broad spectrum SPF 35 sun protection.
Active Ingredients: Centella Asiatica extract, Titanium Dioxide, Zinc Oxide, Glycerin, Niacinamide.
Byrdie Clean? No; contains PEG-10.
About the Brand: Dr. Jart+ is a South Korean skincare brand powered by science and inspired by art, famous for innovative formulas that address a variety of skincare concerns with potent natural ingredients.
About My Skin: Cranky and sensitive
A bit dry beneath the surface but oily on top, my skin has an agenda of its own, so my routine as of late has been focused on supporting barrier function while experimenting with any and every anti-aging ingredient my face can handle. I get easily congested when using heavy products, so I tend to keep to serums and lightweight hydrators to provide potent treatment with minimal texture. I don’t usually wear makeup, but if the redness caused by my skin’s sensitivity is particularly flaring up, I’ll slap on a light BB cream or tinted SPF.
The Feel: A water-light fluid
One drop of Dr. Jart+ Cicapair Tiger Grass Camo Drops goes a long way. It comes out as a thin, yet very opaque light green liquid that, once applied, adapts perfectly to your skin tone. The coverage is sheer but noticeable, and doesn’t contain any shimmer or glitter—a definite plus since I’m bearded. The instructions say to “apply two to three drops” after the serum step in your skincare routine. For me, that made perfect sense since my serum is my moisturizer, but if, like most people, you follow serum with a proper moisturizer, I’d recommend waiting until after that to apply the SPF-infused drops. Even though the watery formula spreads easily, I found I needed more than just two or three drops. After some experimentation, I landed upon seven to do the trick: two on my forehead, two on each cheek, and one on my nose.
Also, Dr. Jart+ Cicapair Tiger Grass Camo Drops layer well, so you can use it as much as you want without it looking cakey. If you didn’t sleep well last night and have the dark circles to show it, dot an extra drop beneath your eyes, or if you’ve got a zit on the rise, rub a little extra on the area to keep it under wraps.
The Ingredients: Natural healing properties
Here’s where the science behind the brand really shines. Dr. Jart+ Cicapair Tiger Grass Camo Drops are loaded with an arsenal of ingredients known for their soothing, healing properties, and because they appear high in the ingredients list, you know they’re working.
- Centella Asiatica: One of the moment's skincare superstars, this medicinal herb goes back over two millennia, during which it’s picked up quite a few names, including Gotu Kola and Tiger Grass. The latter comes from an ancient legend that tigers would roll around in it to heal their fighting wounds. In humans, centella asiatica has the power to treat skin conditions including leprosy, lupus, eczema, and psoriasis (to name a few), but its ability to heal wounds is what gives this formulation its amazing soothing properties.
- Glycerin: This powerful, plant-based humectant helps skin to retain vital hydration with a light, non-oily texture. Products containing glycerin can maintain hydration levels without imparting extra shine or causing skin to become congested.
- Niacinamide: The benefits of niacinamide are vast, from reducing pore size to evening out skin tone to supporting skin’s barrier function, giving it a starring role in this formula that’s friendly to oily skin in need of extra attention.
- Green Energy Complex: This combination of chlorophyll-rich herbs helps to energize and revitalize skin that’s fatigued from overuse of products and stress.
The Results: Calmer skin with just enough coverage
After getting the amount right, I found that Dr. Jart+ Cicapair Tiger Grass Camo Drops left my skin with an overall calmer appearance. The result was even-toned, healthy, and with all the red and angry areas both soothed and tinted over. The green tint definitely does a decent job of canceling out the red, but the color is so lightweight and sheer, it never looks like I’m wearing makeup, and the product doesn't clog up my beard line. After I wash it off at the end of the day, my skin is certifiably less irritated. I will say it can get a bit shiny after a few hours, especially in the T-zone, but it's nothing a quick blot with a tissue can’t fix.
The Value: For what you get, it’s a bargain
What I love most about Dr. Jart+ Cicapair Tiger Grass Camo Drops is its ability to do three distinct functions perfectly: as a calming skincare product it has a noticeable effect on my redness and irritation; as a makeup product, it gives me an overall even-toned glow that wears well on my oily, cranky skin; and as an SPF, it holds its own as an effective broad-spectrum sunscreen. For all that in one product, I can absolutely justify a price tag of $46.
Similar Products: You have options
Dr. Jart+ Cicapair Tiger Grass Color Correcting Treatment SPF 30: For those with drier skin or who want a smidge more coverage, Dr. Jart's original color correcting treatment ($52) may do the trick. It has a thicker cream consistency to provide a boost of extra moisture to the calming tint.
Dior Capture Youth Anti-Redness Soothing Serum: For those looking to splurge, Dior's color-correcting treatment ($95) hydrates as it uses natural peptides to calm and reduce redness. Antioxidant-rich iris extract ensures a healthy, glowing finish on a range of skin types.
Algenist Reveal Concentrated Color Correcting Drops: Another serum-like formula using the power of natural ingredients, Algenist's color-correcting drops ($38) combine microalgae with pigments to soothe redness and prime skin for the rest of your skincare and makeup routine.
Dr. Jart+ Cicapair Tiger Grass Camo Drops is one of those rare products that you could literally recommend to anyone. It's a daily SPF that helps promote healthy barrier function and reduces redness and irritation, with a texture light enough to incorporate into virtually any routine. Could it replace makeup? That’s your call, but as someone who doesn’t usually wear makeup, it didn’t take long for me to fall in love with the glow it gives me.
- Product Name Cicapair Tiger Grass Camo Drops SPF 35
- Product Brand Dr. Jart+
- Price $46
- Weight 1 oz.
- Full Ingredient List Cyclopentasiloxane, Centella Asiatica Extract, Isononyl Isononanoate, Butylene Glycol, Titanium Dioxide, Zinc Oxide, Glycerin, Niacinamide, Polymethylsilsesquioxane, Methyl Methacrylate Crosspolymer, Water, Sodium Chloride, Disteardimonium Hectorite, Iron Oxides (CI 77492), Aluminum Hydroxide, Triethoxycaprylylsilane, Acrylates/Dimethicone Copolymer, Chromium Oxide Greens, Beeswax, Disodium EDTA, Asiaticoside, Hydrogenated Lecithin, Lavandula Angustifolia (Lavender) Oil, Asiatic Acid, Rosmarinus Officinalis (Rosemary) Leaf Oil, Centella Asiatica Leaf Water, Helianthus Annuus (Sunflower) Seed Oil, Houttuynia Cordata Extract, Alcohol, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Phenoxyethanol, Anthemis Nobilis Flower Oil, Lecithin, Arnica Montana Flower Extract, Aniba Rosaeodora (Rosewood) Wood Oil, Ethylhexylglycerin, Madecassoside, Methyl Trimethicone, Butyloctyl Salicylate, Pentaerythrityl Tetraisostearate, Diphenysiloxy Phenyl Trimethicone, Dipropylene Glycol, Isododecane, Lauryl PEG-10 Tris (Trimethysiloxy) Silylethyl Dimethicone, Magnesium Sulfate, Polyglyceryl-4 Isostearate, Dipentaerythrityl Hexahydroxystearate / Hexastearate / Hexarosinate, 1,2-Hexanediol, Iron Oxides (CI 77491), Caprylyl Glycol, Synthetic Fluorphlogopite, Glyceryl Caprylate, Zein, Silica Dimethyl Silylate, Adenosine, Zea Mays (Corn) Starch, Citrus Paradisi (Grapefruit) Peel Oil, Dipotassium Phosphate, Calcium Stearate, Gossypium Herbaceum (Cotton) Seed Oil, Panthenol, Tocopherol, Anastatica Hierochuntica Extract, Pentylene Glycol, Magnesium Aspartate, Zinc Gluconate, Brassica Campestris (Rapeseed) Sterols, Leuconostoc / Radish Root Ferment Filtrate, Sucrose Laurate, Polyglyceryl-2 Caprate, Fragaria Vesca (Strawberry) Fruit Extract, Lysolecithin, Ceramide NP, Copper Gluconate, Sodium Ascorbyl Phosphate, Madecassic Acid.
- SPF 35