Dr. Jart+ Ceramidin Cream
Absorbs quickly without greasiness
Leaves skin soft and bouncy
Ceramide complex promotes barrier health
Quick to produce noticeable results
High price point
Small bottle size
Dr. Jart+ Ceramidin Cream
We put the Dr. Jart+ Ceramidin Cream to the test after receiving a complimentary sample from the brand. Keep reading for our full product review.
Six years ago, I moved from my home state of California to New York City. I had a lot of expectations surrounding what it would be like to live on a different coast—new commute, new people, new way of life—but what I didn’t expect was new skin. The Golden State is very dry, and anyone who has spent time in NYC during the summer knows it's the complete opposite. The humidity wreaked havoc on my complexion that first summer, and I’ve continued to struggle over the years to figure out how to address my skin during the warmer months when it’s muggy, as well as during the colder months when a dry, chapped face is the norm.
In other words, my skin is not the same as it was six years ago, and as such, I’ve had to adjust my skincare routine to accommodate these shifts. Aside from ampoules, serums, and masks, I’ve always found that a really great moisturizer can whip my skin back into shape quickly. Because of this, I was more than pleased to review Dr. Jart+’s signature Ceramidin Cream to find out how my skin would react. So does this much-loved product give my skin what it needs to look and feel its best in New York's temperamental climate? Keep reading to find out.
Best for: Normal, dry, and combination skin types.
Uses: A daily face cream that moisturizes and strengthens skin with ceramides and other ingredients.
Star Rating: 4.8/5
Potential allergens: Not likely
Active ingredients: 5-Cera complex, Bifida ferment lysate, beetroot, and hyaluronic acid.
Byrdie Clean? Yes
About the brand: Born in Korea, Dr. Jart+ was founded in 2005 by dermatologist Dr. Sung Jae Jung and architect Chin Wook Lee. The brand focuses on scientific research and innovation to create forward-thinking, effective skincare products. The brand is also well-known for its playful, bold packaging.
About My Skin: Sensitive and combination
A complicated truth about my skin is that it is, and seemingly always will be, sensitive. Because of this, I'm constantly combatting redness and always dreading a bad reaction to new products. Prior to testing out this cream, I had used Dr. Jart+’s beloved Cicapair Tiger Grass Color Correcting Treatment and for me, it was like finding a magic solution to my biggest skin concern. My inflamed complexion instantly shifted from red to a more neutral color, and the product has been in my daily lineup ever since. Needless to say, I was excited to try out another offering from the brand, and I felt less anxious about adverse results thanks to my previous good experience.
The Feel: Thick but spreads easily
When I first squeezed the Dr. Jart+ Ceramidin Cream out of its tube, I thought for a moment that I had received the wrong product. It has a sand-colored tint, and to me, it looks more like makeup than lotion. However, once I applied it to my face, the product spread easily. Despite its density, the cream left no greasy residue behind, and within minutes (maybe seconds) my entire face was soft, hydrated, and even a bit bouncy.
Despite its density, the cream left no greasy residue behind, and within minutes (maybe seconds) my entire face was soft, hydrated, and even a bit bouncy.
The Ingredients: Ceramides and other gentle skin nourishment
The Dr. Jart+ Ceramidin Cream has a proprietary 5-Cera Complex (made of ceramides) that works to give your face long-lasting moisture. Ceramides are lipids that are already naturally present in your skin and act as a skin barrier to lock in moisture. Here is a closer look at the active ingredients in this product:
- Ceramidin Complex: This blend of five ceramides is the key ingredient in helping to deeply moisturize your skin. They're especially impactful if you have dry skin and are dealing with itching or rough texture.
- Hyaluronic Acid: This product is fabulous for helping skin stay hydrated and plumping it up. It is helpful in maintaining moisture, particularly in harsher climates.
- Shea Butter: This has fatty acids and vitamins that add moisture to dry and flaky skin.
How to Apply: Gently press into face
Dr. Jart+ recommends using its Ceramidin Liquid (a moisturizing toner) before this cream. Even if you don’t have the toner, you can still use Ceramidin Cream as you would any other moisturizer; warm it up in your hands and gently press it into your face.
The Results: Bouncy, refreshed skin
As I mentioned before, this cream jived extremely well with my sensitive skin and made my complexion look instantly more hydrated and bouncy. It also created a smooth base for applying makeup, which is important to me. I also used this cream at night before going to sleep and woke up with a similarly dewy look—all good on all fronts.
The Value: Pricey for the amount, but worth it
Dr. Jart+'s Ceramidin Cream is $48 for less than 2 oz., and I’m not going to pretend like that’s a walk in the park. But—after seeing what it can do, I’m confident to say that if your skin is dry, this is worth it. If you’re like me and have normal or combination skin, I’d still say try it but if your budget is tight, consider reserving it for the colder months when most everyone’s complexion is drier. In any event, it’s not the cheapest product out there, but it delivers, which is not always a guarantee regardless of cost.
What to Look For
When looking for moisturizers, it is important to consider your skin type and skincare needs. This product is a great product for all skin types who want a basic cream that provides moisture. It works well with other serums and lotions as well.
If you have acne-prone skin, you may want a lotion that has the active ingredient salicylic acid to help keep skin clear and acne-free. For those who want an anti-aging product, ingredients such as retinoids or glycolic acid will help promote cell turnover for improved skin texture and to minimize fine lines and wrinkles. If hyperpigmentation is a concern, lotions that contain vitamin C can help keep skin bright and even-toned.
Similar Products: You've got options
Drunk Elephant Lala Retro Whipped Cream: Combined with firming protein, the ceramides in this cream from Drunk Elephant ($60) help to restore collagen while giving your skin a boost of strength and moisture.
Schwanen Garten Antioxidant Nourishing Cream: I love everything from Schwanen Garten's portfolio of skincare products, including this cream ($45) that offers ceramides to help with nourishing a dry complexion.
CeraVe Moisturizing Cream: All those looking to nourish their skin with ceramides on a budget will love this moisturizer from CeraVe ($17), which is suitable for the face and body and uses patented technology to deliver long-lasting hydration.
Dr. Jart+'s Ceramidin Cream makes my face look fresh and nourished after every use, and it’s helping to strengthen my skin over time. If you deal with dryness and are looking for a product that really works while remaining gentle on skin, I couldn't recommend it more.
- Product Name Ceramidin Cream
- Product Brand Dr. Jart+
- Price $48.00
- Weight 1.69 oz.
- Full Ingredient List Water/Aqua/Eau, Glycerin, Dipropylene Glycol, Cetearyl Alcohol, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Hydrogenated Poly(C6-14 Olefin), Hydrogenated Polydecene, Methyl Trimethicone, 1, 2-Hexanediol, Bifida Ferment Lysate, Phenyl Trimethicone, Vegetable Oil, Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea) Butter, Glyceryl Stearate SE, Ceramide NP, Stearic Acid, Algae Extract, Eclipta Prostrata Leaf Extract, Cetearyl Glucoside, Hydrogenated Lecithin, Microcrystalline Cellulose, Butylene Glycol, C12-16 Alcohols, Ammonium Acryloyldimethyltaurate/VP Copolymer, Malt Extract, Beta Vulgaris (Beet) Root Extract, Melia Azadirachta Flower Extract, Melia Azadirachta Leaf Extract, Throbroma Caco (Cocoa) Seed Extract, Curuma Longa (Turmeric) Root Extract, Ocimum Sanctum Leaf Extract, Amaranthus Caudatus Seed Extract, Ulmus Davidiana Root Extract, Avena Sativa (Oat) Kernel Extract, Cynara Scolymus (Artichoke) Leaf Extract, Pteris Multifida Extract, Artemisia Vulgaris Extract, Corallina Officinalis Extract, Pyracantha Fortuneana Fruit Extract, Glycerly Polymethacrylate, Cholesterol, Citrus Aurantium Bergamia (Bergamot) Fruit Oil, Hydrolyzed Corn Starch, Sodium Hyaluronate, Pelargonium Graveolens Flower Oil, Fructooligosaccharides, Beta-Glucan, Dextrin, Disodium EDTA, Panthenol, Polyquaternium-51, Raffinose, Hydrolyzed Hyaluronic Acid, Folic Acid, Salvia Officinalis (Sage) Oil, Pogostemon Cablin Oil, Tromethamine, Ceramide AP, Ceramide AS, Ceramide NS, Palmitoyl Pentapeptide-4, Ceramide EOP.