I've always wanted to be the type of girl who simply throws her hair on the top of her head, leaving it messy but somehow flawless. Spoiler: I'm not. Still, I don't easily back down from a challenge. I've spent hours studying celebrities like Emma Watson and Chrissy Teigen, taking note of their enviable hair. It's always neatly tucked away, yet, still undone and soft. I'm embarrassed to admit I've yet to pull it off.
Luckily, Byrdie HQ is filled with products and editors who are willing to figure it out. Below, find the easiest and quickest (40 seconds, to be exact) way to twist up your strands into that covetable cool-girl bun. You can wear it to work, out at night, and all afternoon on a sleepy Sunday. It's totally foolproof.
1. Spray your hair generously with a dry texturizing spray. We love Ouai Texturizing Hair Spray ($26), as it adds a nice amount of grit to otherwise soft, fine hair. (Extra points because it's scented with Italian bergamot, water lily, and white musk.)
2. Massage your scalp for a nice lift at the roots. For even more oomph, flip your hair upside down and give it a good shake.
3. Twist your hair into a knot. In this case, the messier the better. You can secure any fallout later to keep every last wispy hair in place.
4. Secure the bun with French hair pins. Hair pins allow for more range of motion while you're styling. Each one keeps the hair in place, but they aren't as tight as a bobby pin. They're great for styles you want to look undone. Try Diane Professional French Hair Pins ($15).
5. Loosen any stray hairs. The cool-girl signature? A few loose hairs framing your face and around the nape of your neck.
6. Add hairspray to secure the style. For the final step, we're partial to Chi Style Illuminate Firm Hair Spray ($16).
Looking for more hair tutorials? Watch our step-by-step video to achieve three easy (and stunning) braids for short hair.
Credits: Director: Clarence Fuller; Model: Lidiia Vidrenko w/ Industry Model Management; Producer: Adam Hammer; Videography: Eric Foster; Editor: Kathris Tizon; Makeup: Afton Williams; Hair: Justine Marjan; Styling: Morgan Bogle; Nails: Natalie Minerva from Nail Swag