The 2018 Cannes Film Festival might officially be over, but we're still riding a major beauty high thanks to the surplus of amazing looks we saw on the celebrity-studded red carpets. And even though the 72-year-old festival is technically formulated to celebrate the industry's best up-and-coming film debuts, we can't deny this year's hair, makeup, and fashion game truly stole the show (in our beauty-obsessed eyes, at least).
Enter Laura Polko, one of the industry's most in-demand celebrity hairstylists and the mane mastermind behind some of the festival's very best hair looks, as seen on the supermodel likes of Adriana Lima, Izabel Goulart, and Shanina Shaik. And—drumroll, please—we had the exciting opportunity to receive Polko's exclusive rundown detailing what went on behind the scenes while working with all three models. From her step-by-step styling breakdowns to stunning behind-the-scenes photos, keep reading for her must-see moments and tips!
For the amfAR Gala at Cannes, supermodel Adriana Lima wore her long brunette strands slicked back and flowing. Here are Polko's step-by-step instructions for how she achieved the look:
2. Using the T3 Featherweight Compact Folding Dryer ($150), I then dried the hair
using my hands to seal the product in. I made sure to keep the dryer on low to avoid any white product residue from forming.
3. While drying, I worked my way up the head, directing the hair down and straight back.
Surprisingly, model Izabel Goulart's cascading, blown-out curls and waves are pretty effortless to master. Polko explains the process for achieving a model-worthy blowout:
1. Starting with clean, dry hair, I began the styling process by creating one-inch sections with Izabel's hair.
2. Then, using the one-and-a-half-inch clip barrel of the T3 Twirl Trio ($289), I curled each section away from the face to create a softer and more textured kind of wave.
For a touch of Old Hollywood glamour, Polko worked with supermodel Shanina Shaik's natural curl and texture to create an over-the-shoulder look featuring undulating waves, shine, and body. Below, her best tips:
1. For Shanina, I also started with clean, dry hair before sectioning it off into one-inch pieces.
2. Next, using the one-inch wand barrel of the T3 Twirl Trio ($289), I curled each section away from the face to touch up her natural curl.
Looking for more beauty inspiration from the 2018 Cannes Film Festival? Here are 27 of our favorite beauty moments.