This Supermodel-Approved Food Delivery Service Is Coming to L.A.!
Eating a healthy, balanced, fresh meal each day sounds nice in theory, but there’s a little thing called, oh you know, life, which usually gets in the way. Enter Sakara Life, a super-convenient, supermodel-approved organic meal delivery service founded in NYC by friends Whitney Tingle and Danielle Duboise. Their philosophy? It’s all about balance—in every area of your life, nutrition included. Their manifesto includes guidelines like “Eat the Rainbow” and “No Calorie Counting,” a refreshing change in our current juice cleanse–crazed world. With names like Berry Lovecakes With Lemon Zest and The Daydreamer Soba Bowl, it’s no wonder their hearty, flavorful meals are go-tos for models like Erin Heatherton, Karolina Kurkova, and Lily Aldridge (the latter of whom is said to enjoy her meals before a little event called the Victoria’s Secret Fashion Show).
You didn’t think we’d bring this up without some good news, did you? Here it is: As of June 1, all you L.A. peeps can order Sakara Life to your doorstep. The company is expanding for beyond the East Coast the first time, and suffice it to say our bodies are ready (more than ready—we’re still in the process of shedding our winter water weight, ahem). As you count down the days, here’s a recipe from Tingle and Duboise that you can try at home. A little taste of what’s the come, yes?
Beautifying Sweet Potato Quinoa Cakes on Local Greens
1 cup quinoa, dry
1¾ cup filtered water
1 tsp. powdered pearl
4 cloves garlic
½ medium onion
2 cups finely shredded sweet potato; squeeze out excess water
½ cup gluten-free oat flour
2 tbsp. olive oil (1 tbsp. for sautéing onion, 1 tbsp. for mixture)
½ tsp. red pepper flakes
2 tsp. white chia seeds, ground
6 tbsp. water, to mix with chia
1 tbsp. freshly squeezed lemon juice
2 tbsp. cilantro, chopped
2 tbsp. chives, chopped (reserve 1 tbsp. for garnish)
1 tsp. Himalayan sea salt
1 tsp ground pepper
½ cup tahini
¼ cup filtered water
2 cloves garlic
3 tbsp. lemon juice
¼ tsp. lemon zest
1 tbsp. jalapeno, minced
½ tsp. Himalayan sea salt
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. In a bowl, combine ground chia and water, and set aside to allow to bloom.
2. In a pot, bring quinoa, pinch of salt, and water to a boil. Bring down to a simmer and cook for 15 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool.
3. In a sauté pan, sweat onion, garlic, salt and olive oil for 7 minutes. Add shredded sweet potato and continue to cook on medium for 3 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool.
4. In a bowl, combine sweet potato mixture, cooked quinoa, GF oat flour, red pepper flakes, lemon juice, remaining olive oil, powdered pearl, herbs, ground pepper, and chia seeds. Form into 8 round patties about ¾ inch thick. Bake for 25 minutes, let cool, drizzle with tahini sauce, and serve.
5. Place over local, organic greens. Enjoy!
Live in L.A.? Click here to preorder Sakara Life and check out the menu!
Shop one of our favorite vegan cookbooks here.