Indulge Your Fall Cravings With This Gwyneth-Approved Paleo Pumpkin Bread
While there's certainly such a thing as PSL over-hype (do we really need pumpkin spice toothpaste?), the fall craving is nonetheless undeniable—especially when presented in its purest form, aka baked goods. We can't get enough of it, which is why we should be able to indulge that hankering as often as humanly possible, right?
But white sugar, flour, and other less-than-ideal ingredients might be enough to make you take pause when contemplating your go-to autumn snack. Which is why nutritionist Shira Lenchewski—whose fans include, oh, just Lauren Conrad and Gwyneth Paltrow—set out to make a guilt-free version of pumpkin spice bread, using healthy ingredients like coconut oil, coconut flour, and maple syrup instead of the usual culprits. The frosting even has a superfood surprise: mucuna pruriens, also known as "dopamine bean," an herbal powder that offers a non-caffeinated boost (which Byrdie editors happen to love). Oh, and it's all Paleo and vegan, too. Find her recipe below.
Paleo Pumpkin Spice Bread
For the pumpkin bread:
1 cup pumpkin purée
3 tbsp. psyllium husk
6 tbsp. water
1/2 cup coconut flour
1/2 cup coconut oil, melted
1/4 cup maple syrup
1 tbsp. vanilla extract
1 tsp. baking soda
1 1/2 tbsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. ginger
1/4 tsp. nutmeg
1/4 tsp. ground all spice
1/4 tsp. ground cloves
Pinch of sea salt
For the frosting:
7 tbsp. coconut oil, melted and still warm
1 tbsp. maple syrup
1 tbsp. mucuna pruriens
2 tsp. vanilla extract
1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
2. In a bowl, combine the pumpkin purée, coconut flour, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, allspice, ground cloves, and sea salt, and mix thoroughly.
3. In a separate bowl, add the psyllium husk and water, and stir until gelatinous. Add the coconut oil, maple syrup, and vanilla extract, and mix until well combined.
4. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix until smooth.
5. Place the dough into two mini loaf pans.
6. Bake for 18 to 20 minutes, or until firm.
7. Prepare frosting by mixing ingredients until well combined and chilling in fridge for 15 minutes.
8. Top with frosting if desired.
Psst—pumpkin happens to be amazing for your complexion, too. Shop some fall-themed skincare essentials below.