3-Minute Read: Watch Kendall, Bella, and More Speak Out in Support of Women
Welcome to our International Women's Day edition of 3-Minute Read, your midweek rundown of everything we're talking about at Byrdie HQ. Every Wednesday, we'll get you up to date on the beauty news you need to know—in only three minutes. Today, learn how you can show support for the women who empower you most.
1. We probably don't need to remind you that "women's rights are human rights."
But that doesn't make this video by W any less inspiring. Featuring the likes of Kendall Jenner, Bella Hadid, and more power-players of the fashion industry, it's essentially a quick rundown on why we're celebrating International Women's Day.
2. Here's how we're observing #IWD, btw.
For starters, we'll be taking part in our company-wide Instagram initiative, #WeAreWomen, and encourage you to participate—all you have to do is tag a woman who empowers you most, and then it'll be her turn to pay it forward and keep the chain of lady inspiration going. Here are a few other ways you can participate:
- Take the day off from working or buying anything. Today, thousands of women will also observe #ADayWithoutaWoman, a global strike coordinated by the same organizers behind the Women's March. Can't take off work? That's totally fine—we'll be wearing red in solidarity.
- On the flip side, you might direct your purchases to companies, products, and nonprofits that support women and equality. We'll be posting a list of beauty items that do just that shortly.
- In the meantime, take the time to get inspired by some of the most empowering women in the world. These feminist quotes are a great start, but how about calling the women in your life today and letting them know just how much they mean to you?
3. This #IWD-geared women's kit is our kind of brand collaboration.
4. Today is also a great reminder to make sure your own health is in order.
There's a lot of talk about healthcare in Washington right now, and let's not mince words: Your free birth control is not a guarantee. (That's not to mention that with an explicit plan to defund Planned Parenthood, many women's access to affordable reproductive care is in jeopardy.) Make sure you know your options before any of it goes down.
5. Yes, it's a lot. Which is why now is the time to engage in self-care, more than ever.
These breathing exercises from Coveteur will de-stress you in seconds—leaving you plenty of time to save the world. (And find out more bite-sized ways to show yourself a little love here.)
How are you celebrating International Women's Day today? Tell us in the comments below.