11 Outrageous and Little-Known Facts About Your Hair
Hair. With upwards of 100,000 strands on your head, there’s plenty to talk about. Ready for a few OMG moments? Flip through for the 11 most incredible facts about hair you’ll ever hear!
1. Leonard Autie, Marie Antoinette’s hairdresser, invented the pouf hairstyle for the queen one evening before the opera. It was around three-feet high that night, and her headdresses only got more elaborate and even wilder. So wild, in fact, that they often became breeding grounds for various types of vermin.
2. Each strand of human hair contains up to 14 different elements, including traces of gold.
KEVIN MAZUR/GETTY IMAGES
5. “The Rachel,” which Jennifer Aniston sported in the ‘90s on Friends, is still the most copied celebrity hairstyle ever. According to a poll conducted by Goody, it has been requested by 11 million women across the globe. Ironically, Aniston was not a fan. She’s even called it “the ugliest haircut she’s ever seen.”
9. Hair extensions are sparking crime waves across the country. Just this year, authorities have cited an increase in burglaries of beauty supply stores, with extensions being the loot of choice. At around $100 to $300 a pop, hair bandits are making away with tens of thousands of dollars worth of stolen strands.
11. In 1960, L’Oréal launched Elnett hairspray. It was the first hairspray that could be brushed out, offering a lovely alternative to hairspray helmet head. But up until 2010, the only way for an American woman to get her hands on a can was to bring it back from Europe (which many women and professional stylists did).
Which hair fact surprised you the most? Tell us below!